Pre-Content Audit Check List
Creating breakthrough content doesn't come easy. Follow our Content Marketing Checklist to set the stage for greatness.
1. Come together.
Come to a consensus as to who will lead and communicate the audit process internally. If needed get buy-in and any access approval from C-Suite.
2. SET YOUR GOALS.
Determine the ‘why’ of the audit.
Some options are….
- General inventory
- Analyze and compare content themes
- Content mapping/collaborative filtering (?)
- Improve your content’s depth engagement
3. MAKE AN INVENTORY.
Gather all available assets, who built them, and how they were leveraged.
Assets can include….
- sets can include…
- White papers
- Social Feeds
- Web Pages
- Sales enablement materials
- Marketing materials
And sources can include…
- Field marketing
- Media partners
- Analyst relations
- Social Media Team
- Advertising/PR agencies
- Research department
- Web development team
- Online community managers
4. DETERMINE THE DEPTH OF THE AUDIT.
We can offer observations and analysis on several aspects of your content.
Select the ones you’re interested in.
- Superficial taxonomies and demographics
- Aligning messaging with customer research
- Gap analysis – determining what’s missing
- Audience insights — Purchase stages and personas
- Alignment of assets with corporate marketing messages
5. PICK YOUR BENCHMARKS.
Think about which independent measurements we can use to determine content quality, positioning and alignment with purchase cycle and personas.
6. SET A BUDGET
Determine what internal/external resources and budget will be required to conduct this audit in the scope and depth necessary.
7. Evaluate your capabilities and credibility.
Interview reputable and independent content audit partners to determine whether it better to build or buy the auditing architecture and deployment. Determine whether the audit partner has the ability to create, refresh, realign and map the content asset library based on the results. Determine whether the audit partner also has the ability to deliver on the promise of higher leads based on the audit, gap analysis and prescriptive content recommendation process.